The Yvonne Burgu Education Award helps an Aboriginal woman completing her first university degree or TAFE college diploma.
The $1,000 Award honours the memory of the late Yvonne Burgu, senior Ngarinyin law woman from the Gibb River Community in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Yvonne initiated the establishment of the Wanalirri Catholic Primary School at Gibb River Community, was an accomplished artist, respected community leader, role model and friend. The Zonta Club of Perth commemorates her life of community service by offering this award to an Aboriginal woman entering her second year of study towards a recognised degree or diploma at a Western Australian tertiary institution.
If you are, or know an Aboriginal woman who could benefit from this Award, please pass on to your networks.
- Residing in Western Australia in 2018-19;
- Studying towards a first undergraduate degree of diploma at a Western Australian tertiary institution.
- Have successfully completed at least all the first year units/requirements of a degree/diploma course (on a full or part time basis);
- provide at least one written academic reference and one written personal reference; and
- demonstrate a commitment to community service.
Applications have closed for the 2019 round of the Zonta Club of Perth Yvonne Burgu Education Award. Next year’s award will be advertised early in 2020.
The Zonta Club of Perth congratulates Taylah Thompson as the Yvonne Burgu Award Winner for 2019. Taylah is pursuing a Bachelor of Psychology at Curtin University.