August is turning into ‘celebrate Zonta’s Centennial’ month with two special events:
- Awards Night – Thursday 8 August at St Catherine’s College, UWA
- Cosmos Calling – Thursday 15 August at SciTech – tickets from Trybooking
At our Awards Night we will celebrate and honour our 2019 Awardees:
- Paris McNeil – Young Woman in Public Affairs Award 2019
- Taylah Thompson – Yvonne Burgu Education Award 2019
- Kimberley Wilde – University Education Award 2019
- Shakila Rathnayake – Women in Technology Award 2019
We will also be ‘soft launching’ the Zonta International Centennial Edition of our Club’s history. Our Club, the oldest in WA, has contributed to 47 of Zonta International’s 100 years of service. The Club’s pictorial history describes how members have helped women and girls in the local community, nationally and internationally during this time.
Our Cosmos Calling: Space the Next Frontier night is all about highlighting the astronomical work that is being done in WA by some amazing women and showing why it is important to encourage women and girls to take an interest in STEM subjects The evening will start with canapes and drinks in the foyer of SciTech’s Planetarium. Guests will then enjoy the Capturing the Cosmos planetarium show. Professor Lyn Beazley AO is our MC for the night and will introduce presentations and facilitate a panel discussion with:
- Dr Natasha Hurley-Walker who maps the sky in radio colour
- Dr Katarina Miljkovic who works on NASA’s Mars InSight Mission
- Dr Ellie Sansom who works on the Australian Desert Fireball Network
To celebrate the centennial guests may dress up as someone from 100 years in the past, or 100 years in the future – (not compulsory!) This is a major fundraising event with all proceeds going to Zonta projects to help women and girls achieve their potential on planet Earth!
Don’t miss out on our August Centennial events! See flyers for more details: